Am I Guaranteed to Receive Spousal Support Payments After My California Divorce?
While our state allows temporary, rehabilitative, and permanent spousal support to be awarded during the divorce proceedings and as part of the final decree, it does not mean that every marriage dissolution will end in one spouse receiving alimony payments.
How Are Spousal Support Payments Determined in California?
Many legal factors determine if, how much, and how long spousal support is awarded after a San Bernardino County divorce.
Our California Legislation outlines those factors, which include the:
- Length of the marriage
- Age and health of both spouses
- Debts and property distributed during the divorce
- Needs of each person, based on the standard of living they had during the marriage
- Recipient’s marketable skills and the employment opportunities
- Childcare or unemployment affected the career of one spouse
- Ability to work and properly raise children at the same time, when applicable
- Existence of domestic violence
- Recipient’s contribution to the education, training, professional license or career for the other spouse
- Recipient’s ability to work without interfering with their children/family responsibilities
- Payer’s ability to pay by calculating earned and unearned income, assets, and standard of living
All spousal support requirements will be measured by their unique merits, which means your proven financial needs may be very different than another person. We will fully outline your case to ensure no detail is left to chance, so you can plan your financial future with confidence.
How Can the Law Office of Joyce Holcomb Ensure My Spousal Support Needs Are Met?
Once we can determine that spousal support is a necessary part of your divorce proceedings, we will move forward with preparing the legal paperwork necessary to pursue the award.
Our San Bernardino spousal support lawyer will provide:
- Evidence to support the recipient’s overall spousal support needs
- A complete review of the other spouse’s finances and ability to pay to assess an accurate calculation of payments
- Determine which type of support is required going forward, including temporary and/or long-term
At the Law Office of Joyce Holcomb, our spousal support attorney in San Bernardino provides complete legal representation inside and outside of the courtroom until your case is finalized, so you never have to face your soon-to-be-ex-spouse or their attorney alone.
Contact Our Certified Family Law Specialist Today for a Free Consultation
If you have questions about your spousal support eligibility, contact our Certified San Bernardino Family Law Specialist at the Law Office of Joyce Holcomb by calling (909) 889-7111 today to learn more about the evaluation process, so you can begin planning your financial future.